The Lower School (grades 1-4) nurtures students’ innate abilities through a variety of learning activities, hands-on experiences, and developmentally-appropriate practices. Throughout the years, students develop their social-emotional and academic skills through direct instruction and thoughtful practice. Lower School classrooms at Gulliver Prep are joyful places of learning where students collaborate with peers, creatively solve problems, share their thinking with others, and make connections to the content to enhance the learning for everyone.
Following standards for each content area, students explore and practice skills to gain fluency in order to tackle problems in mathematics, language arts, social studies, science, and world languages. Whenever possible, core content areas are interwoven with special area classes to enhance and extend learning opportunities; students apply their knowledge to answer real-world questions.
The Lower School Experience Includes:
- Discovery Lab experience for coding, ePortfolio and programming in technology
- Spanish for heritage and non-heritage speakers
- Weekly art and music classes
- Columbia University’s Reading workshop, to inspire a love of reading
- Unique physical education offerings, like yoga, tennis, and swimming, with an emphasis on character development